Policies and Procedures ___________________________________________________________________________
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities which receive federal financial assistance. Title IX states that:
No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
- Policy Statement: Sex discrimination is prohibited by University policy and law in educational programs, activities and employment. Title IX applies to all students, employees, volunteers and visitors at the University and prohibits sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and other forms of sex discrimination as defined in Section 600.020C of the Collected Rules and Regulations. Additionally, there is a specific application of Title IX in athletic programs to ensure gender equity and that women and men have equitable access to sports opportunities. As used in this policy, the word “sex” is also inclusive of the term “gender.” (CR&R 600.020A)
- Prohibited Conduct: Definitions and examples of conduct prohibited under the Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity Policy:
- Sex Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Sexual Misconduct
- Stalking on the Basis of Sex
- Dating/Intimate Partner Violence
- Sexual Exploitation
- Title IX Coordinator: Duties and responsibilities of the university’s Title IX coordinator include monitoring and oversight of overall implementation of Title IX compliance at the university, including coordination of training, education, communications and coordination with grievance procedures for faculty, staff, students and other members of the university community.
UMKC's Title IX Coordinator is:
Guiding Policies and Information for UMKC and Missouri System:
- University of Missouri System
- Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct in Education/Employment Policy
- Standard of Student Conduct
- Rules of Procedures in Student Conduct Matters
- Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Harassment, Sexual Misconduct and other Forms of Discrimination
- Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity Policy
Student-Athlete Handbook/Policies and Procedures:
Each year the UMKC Athletic Department publishes and distributes the student-athlete handbook which outlines and discusses department and university policies and procedures. It also provides student-athletes with valuable campus and departmental resources in order to help them have successful academic and athletic careers at UMKC.