WATCH VIDEO INTERVIEW - with Reighan Childers winning Comprehensive Excellence award
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC athletic department hosted its 2018-19 Champions Banquet on Tuesday night on the UMKC campus where it recognized the achievements of its student-athletes over the course of the academic season. The event was emceed by Neil Harwell, play-by-play voice of the Roos on the WAC Digital Network.
The event kicked-off by honoring the 48 graduating student-athletes and the 3.35 cumulative GPA by the over 230 student-athletes. Fifteen of 16 teams hold a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better and all programs have a 91% graduation success rate. Overall, there were a total of 94 scholar-athletes who hold a 3.5+ cumulative GPA.
Next, UMKC Chancellor Dr. Mauli Agrawal spoke to the audience about the positive change in the last year and congratulating the student-athletes on their academic and athletic achievements. After Dr. Agrawal spoke, Director of Athletics Dr. Brandon Martin summarized the team success points, including two conference championships, and reasons to be proud of UMKC Athletics.
Next was the award portion of the ceremony with women's soccer stand-out Reighan Childers boasting the Comprehensive Excellence award. The recognition is the highest honor bestowed upon a UMKC student-athlete, which takes into account athletic performance, academic excellence and humanitarianism/community service.
The Circle of Champion winners, meanwhile, presented to the best overall male and female athlete for career achievements, were given to women’s soccer player Lexie Howard and men's track and field performer Chris Bryan.
List of award winners:
- Comprehensive Excellence: Reighan Childers (Women's Soccer)
- Circle of Champion's: Chris Bryan (Men's Track & Field) and Lexie Howard (Women's Soccer)
- Freshman of the Year: Paul Foulquie (Men's Golf) and Rylan Childers (Women's Soccer)
- Newcomer of the Year: Ben Stride (Men's Tennis) and Ericka Mattingly (Women's Basketball)
- Dr. Henry A Mitchell/People-To-People: Maddi Cipolla (Women's Soccer)
- David B. Milner: Bryce Miller (Men's Track)
- Lester Milgram: Hayden Burnett (Women's Soccer)
- Lee Hunt: Emily Ivory (Women's Basketball)
- Stan Durwood Award: Lexie Howard (Women's Soccer) and Kolos Urbanyi (Men's Soccer)
List of scholarship and endowment recipients
- George W. Mansfield UMKC Junior Golf Ambassadors Scholarship Endowment: McCain Schellhardt (Men’s Golf)
- Sam Davidson: Maegan Rollow (Softball)
- Dutton Brookfield Scholarship Fund: Halle Hamilton (Women's Soccer), Caroline Klemp (Women's Golf) and Maegan Rollow (Softball)
- Keith and Sammy Schreiman Athletics Endowment I: Henry Ramirez (Men's Soccer) and Victor Kolade (Men's Soccer)
- Keith and Sammy Schreiman Athletics Endowment Number II: Brandon McKissic (Men's Basketball)
- The Kenneth L. and Eva S. Smith Foundation Fund: Caroline Klemp (Women’s Golf)
- The Bill Ross Scholarship for UMKC Intercollegiate Athletics: Paul Foulquie (Men’s Golf)
- Jim and Sally Job Scholarship Fun: Emily Ivory (Women's Basketball)
- Judge Jack and Beverly Gant Athletics Scholarship: Faith Willis (Softball)
- Charles and Kay Hanson Athletics Scholarship: Megan Lucas (Women’s Golf)
- Cynthia Joy Gabel Memorial Endowment Fund: Jaime Bellingham (Women's Golf)
- Stanley H. Durwood Athletics Scholarship: Samuel Tudor (Men's Track & Field) and Abby Small (Women's Soccer)
- Guy H. Bailey II Memorial Scholarship: Michael Nweke (Men's Track & Field) and David Ray-Campoy (Men's Soccer)
- UMKC Athletics Foundation Intercollegiate Athletics Scholarship: Hayden Burnett (Women's Soccer) and Lia Lombardini (Softball)
- Ralph B. and Rolaine J. Anderson Athletics Scholarship I & II: Ericka Mattingly (Women's Basketball), Ty Lukes (Volleyball), Awal Ajak (Women's Basketball) and Kaleb Roy (Men's Basketball)
- AMC Theatres Scholarship: Ruth Fiander (Women's Soccer) and Louisa Nylander (Women's Track & Field)
– UMKC –