KANSAS CITY, Mo.---The UMKC women’s basketball team (4-6) will return home for the Roo Holiday Classic as the team will face off with SIUE on Thursday, Dec. 20th at 4 p.m. CT and LA Tech on Friday, December 21st at 5:30 p.m. CT. The other two games that will round out the Roo Holiday Classic will be Missouri State versus LA Tech at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 20th and Missouri State versus SIUE at 3 p.m. on Dec. 21st.
- About the Roos - Coming off an impressive win on the road against Loyola-Chicago last Sunday, the Roos put up 88 points against a Ramblers squad allowing 59.2 points per game heading into the matchup at Gentile Arena. Junior Ericka Mattingly delivered another solid performance, as she helped UMKC take down the Ramblers by recording 23 points and six steals on the afternoon. After trailing early in the first quarter, the Roos regained the lead and never looked back as the team nailed 10 three-point field goals and pressured the Ramblers into 18 turnovers, which notched their fourth win of the season
- Mattingly Continues to Roll - Junior guard Ericka Mattingly (Wichita, Kan.) keeps impressing each week the Roos take the court, as she recorded another 20 point game against Loyola-Chicago on Sunday, marking the seventh time in 10 games she has reached this spot. Mattingly’s stat line for the 2018-2019 season consists of averages of 18.2 points, 6.2 assists, 5.5 rebounds and a 77.2 percentage on free throw attempts. The Junior College All-American still stands high amongst the other prolific scoring guards in the WAC, as she is first in points (18.2) and remains first in assists (6.2) and steals (3.1). Mattingly was recently named WAC Player of the Week for her performances through Nov. 26-Dec. 2
- WAC Standings - As a team, UMKC sits second in points (73.4) while garnering a spot at fifth in rebounding (38.0) and second in three-point field goal percentage (34.2)
- Preparing for the Cougars - Arriving to Swinney Auditorium with a 4-4 record, SIUE has produced victories over WAC opponent Chicago State and Purdue Fort Wayne on the season. Contributing to those wins was sophomore guard Allie Troeckler, who has averaged 12.6 points per game in all of the Cougars wins thus far. SIUE is led by head coach Paula Buscher, who entered 2018 with a 95-91 overall record while leading the Cougars to the WBI Postseason Tournament last year
- Preparing for the Bulldogs - Entering Friday’s matchup against UMKC, Louisiana Tech will look to senior guard Kierra Anthony to keep the Bulldogs from snapping their two-game winning streak. Anthony leads the team at 23.1 points per game, including a 50 point performance against Houston on Nov. 14th. In regards to national status, Anthony currently ranks seventh in the country in points per game (23.1)
- Vigil Making a Name For Herself - Freshman forward Leilah Vigil (Montbello, Colo.) remains a physical presence in the post for UMKC in 2018. The Montbello, Colo., native recorded her fourth double-double (10 points and 12 rebounds) of the year in the win against Loyola-Chicago on Sunday. In regards to rebounding, Vigil remains fourth in rebounds per game (8.8) in the WAC while sitting in second in field goal percentage (55.1)
- Spotlight Player - Freshman guard Brooke Hampel (Huntsville, Ala.) has been efficient all year for UMKC, as she moved back up to first in the WAC conference in field goal percentage (55.9). Hampel is averaging 9.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game on the 2018-2019 season. In Sunday’s win against the Ramblers, Hampel recorded 13 points on 6 of 9 shooting
- Last Season - In 2017-18, the Roos finished 11-19 overall and 7-7 in WAC play. On the season, UMKC picked up key WAC victories with an overtime win over Grand Canyon and sweeping the season series between UTRGV and Chicago State.
- Checking off a Career Milestone - Having joined the 1000 point club this season, senior forward Kristen Moore (Chicago, Ill.) now turns her focus to another milestone as she is four rebounds away from achieving 500 total rebounds for her illustrious career. Moore would be 14th on the all time rebounding list if she grabs her 500th rebound this week. So far in 2018, Moore has averaged 8.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.4 assists for the Roos.
- Up Next - The Blue & Gold stay put for another home game as the team faces off with Illinois State on Sunday, Dec. 30th at 2 p.m CT
– UMKC –