Brookings, S.D. – The UMKC (1-7) men’s basketball team lost to former Summit League conference rival South Dakota State tonight at Frost Arena by a 75-47 score. The Jackrabbits (6-2) improved their home active win streak to a NCAA Division I-best 24-straight in Brookings, S.D. Mike Daum led all scorers with 26 points and grabbed 18 rebounds for South Dakota State.
For the fifth-straight game, Roos’ Xavier Bishop was the offensive spark plug with 11 points in 33 minutes of action. The junior guard also compiled a team-best four assists and added four rebounds. Brandon McKissic and Rob Whitfield each chipped in 10 points.
South Dakota State led the entire way, holding its largest lead at 31 points with five-and-a-half minutes remaining. The Jackrabbits controlled a 45-30 margin at the break behind 58.6 percent shooting, but cooled off to 39.3 percent in the second half.
Roos Head Coach Kareem Richardson gave his thoughts on the game tonight, including the superb play of Jackrabbits Mike Daum.
“Daum is one of the best players in the country, hands down! He was great for SDSU tonight. I felt Tevin King (10 points) gave them a huge lift with scoring in the first half and in the second half Alex Arians (11 points, 10 rebounds) picked up the slack. It was a total team effort by the Jackrabbits.”
Before five minutes elapsed, South Dakota State already led 14-3. UMKC trimmed the deficit to 17-14 at the 11:48 mark after a Jordan Giles 3-pointer. That bucket capped an 11-3 spurt. However, the hosts quickly pushed out the lead back to double-digits and never looked back the rest of the game.
South Dakota shot 49.1 percent (28-of-57) in the win and out-scored UMKC 14-4 at the free throw line.
• UMKC continues its three-game road trip with a contest at Purdue Fort Wayne (Ind.) (4-4) on Saturday. Tip-off from Memorial Coliseum is 1 p.m. CT.
• With 10 points tonight, Rob Whitfield captured his fourth 10-plus point outing in his last five games.
• Brandon McKissic finished with 10 points. He now has hit double-digits in five of six games he has appeared in.
• Xavier Bishop has now been the team leader in scoring in each of the last five contests. He owns a team-best season scoring clip of 16.9 per game, which also ranks second in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).
• With the win tonight, South Dakota State advances its all-time series advantage to 15-6.
• The 31 three-point attempts by UMKC is one shy of a season-high. As a team, the Roos are second in the conference in season three-point attempts (195).
• With four blocks tonight, the Roos were right on their per game average (4.1). That mark is good for third in WAC statistical standings.
• The Roos fall to 0-5 this season on the road.
For more information on UMKC Men’s Basketball, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.