UMKC Plays to Draw With Creighton, 2-2
UMKC Athletics 9-8-2017
Share |
Related Links

OMAHA, Neb. – The UMKC women’s soccer team (2-4-1) battled back from a one goal deficit late in the second half to Creighton (0-5-1) to even up the game in regulation, before ending the second overtime period with a 2-2 draw in Friday night’s match.

The Roos began the contest looking like a team determined to end their two-game losing skid and struck first in the opening minutes of play. UMKC connected a long pass up the field to find Kelsey Mothershead (Smithville, Mo.) dished out a beautiful centering pass to Kara Priest (Overland Park, Kan.) inside the box. Priest was able to convert a crafty shot past the keeper for her first goal of the season to give the Roos a 1-0 lead at the 2:39 mark.

The lead would not hold during the remainder of the first half as Creighton found the equalizing goal at the 24:58 mark. A quick pass to the foot of Bluejays forward Kaira Houser evened up the score mid-way through the first half.

Creighton would strike again moments later in the 27th minute when a streaking Taryn Jakubowski maneuvered through the defense and fired a shot just outside the box past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Erin Roth (Eureka, Mo.). Roth finished the night with five saves in her first start of the season.

The Bluejays continued to control the pace as time expired in the first half. Despite generating solid offensive attacks, the team was unable to create its first multi-goal lead of the season as the score remained 2-1 entering halftime.

The second half had a much different look as the Roos controlled the pace for the majority of the period. As the clock ticked down into middle portion of the second half, UMKC had yet to find a score to tie the game but their relentless pressure played a visible role in wearing down their opponent.

“Continuing to compete throughout the entire match, even when we found ourselves down a goal late in the game, says a lot about the fight in our team”, commented head coach Chris Cissell.

UMKC continued to press on into the final stretch of play in regulation and their effort paid off in a major way. A foul called against Creighton just outside the box led to a golden opportunity for the Roos with time dwindling. After the initial kick, Mothershead nearly broke the tie with a shot that bounced hard off the post onto the foot of Lexie Howard (Kearney, Mo.), who immediately fired a shot of her own. A juicy rebound off the save of Howard’s shot found Abby Small (Kansas City, Mo.) who pushed the ball through for the equalizing goal at 76:10. The goal was her second on the season.

The final minutes of regulation passed without a goal for either side as the teams entered overtime squared at two goals apiece. Attacks were traded back and forth in the two overtime periods but neither team was willing to give up the golden goal as the contest ended in a 2-2 draw. The Roos have now won two games and played to a pair of draws against the Big East program in the last four years.

“Very proud of our girls with their performance tonight”, noted Cissell. “It was a complete team effort and coming up with a draw after being down late in the game on the road is a solid result for our team.”

UMKC head back home to host Omaha on Sunday, Sep. 10 at Durwood Stadium. The match is slated for 1 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on the WAC Digital Network. Live stats through UMKC Stats will also be available.    

For more information on UMKC women’s soccer, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

– UMKC –

Athletic Round-Up: Board of Trustees Meeting on Dec. 10
Roos Stay Hot, Down Ramblers Sunday Afternoon
UMKC Takes Down McNeese, 80-67, Behind Whitfield's 19
Exclusive Live & On-Demand Audio and Video