UMKC Downs Big Ten Opponent Northwestern, 2-0
UMKC Athletics 8-27-2017
Share |
Related Links

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – In a game that featured nine yellow cards and three ejections, the UMKC men’s soccer team (2-0) survived its Big Ten opponent Northwestern (1-1) on Sunday night, as the Roos shut out the Wildcats, 2-0.

“Certainly in the first half, we were really sharp and played really well,” head coach Rick Benben commented. “Naturally in soccer when you’re up by a goal, you start to be more conservative. As the half went on, the effort by the guys was incredible on both sides of the ball. Both teams tonight played tough after winning competitive games on Friday. For us, it is a constant grind.”

For a majority of the first half, UMKC held onto possession, as Henry Ramirez (Costa Mesa, Calif.) and Pandelis Popgeorgiev (Budapest, Hungary) fired the Roos first shots of the evening.

In the 18th minute, the Wildcats were called for a foul that put UMKC in scoring position 40 yards out from the goal. Junior Christian Anderaos (Sao Paulo, Brazil) took the free kick for UMKC, connecting with the head of Diego Serfaty (Sunrise, Fla.), as the defender buried the ball in the back right post to put UMKC on the board.

The battle continued throughout the first half, as the Wildcats and Roos would enter the locker room with five and six shots apiece, respectively.

The bloodbath carried into the second half, as each team lost a player in the 67th minute of action due to red cards. Northwestern would lose another with less than five minutes to play, giving UMKC the one-man advantage.

In the 87th minute, UMKC goalkeeper Filippo Errico (Verona, Italy) made his biggest save of the night – from his back – as a Wildcat attempted to punch it past him 10 yards out, but was unable to get it past the outstretched keeper.

Senior captain Eric McWoods (St. Louis, Mo.) continued his scoring ways, knocking in his second goal in two games during the 88th minute of action, to secure UMKC’s second victory of the season.  

The UMKC defense and sophomore goalkeeper combined for five saves on the night, as Errico registered his second-consecutive shutout in the net for the Roos.

“Filippo is really good and we realized early on last year that he is a great goalkeeper,” shared Benben. “He is somebody that is really dedicated. Filippo works really hard during training, takes care of himself and does well in school. He is really the whole package and that is really nice to have.”

The Roos will continue their home stand on Sunday, Sept. 3 at 1 p.m. CT when Rutgers visits Durwood Soccer Stadium.

For more information on UMKC men’s soccer, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

– UMKC –

UMKC Athletics Launches New Brand Identity
Ursula Gurney Elected as First Vice President for N4A
Exclusive Live & On-Demand Audio and Video