PHOENIX, Ariz. – UMKC men’s basketball (15-14, 7-5) visits Grand Canyon (20-9, 9-3) for an 8 p.m. CT tipoff at GCU Arena Saturday night on KSMO-TV. Neil Harwell and Joel Goldberg will have the call.
The Roos had a 5-game winning streak – the longest for the program in 12 years – snapped in a 71-62 loss at CSU Bakersfield on Thursday night. The Runners shot 57 percent from the field in a game that featured seven ties and seven lead changes.
All-Time Series: 3-4
In Kansas City: 2-2
In Phoenix: 1-2
Neutral Site: 0-0
Live Stream: YouTube
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 15-14 overall and 7-5 during WAC play, surpassing both victory totals from last season.
· The Roos had a 5-game winning streak snapped in Thursday's 71-62 loss at CSU Bakersfield. The Runners shot 57 percent for the game.
· It was the first time the program had won five straight since winning 11 in a row from Jan. 3 - Feb. 3, 2005. UMKC has a 19.2-point average victory margin (87.2-68.0) during the run.
· Throughout the winning streak, UMKC shot 48 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3-point range. The Roos averaged 11.8 triples per game during the winning streak.
· UMKC's 30-point, 102-72 victory over Seattle U on Feb. 11 marked the largest margin of victory in a conference game since joining the WAC prior to the 2013-14 season. It also tied the second-largest margin of victory in program history in a conference contest.
· The Roos rank 36th nationally in 3-pointers (265), 41st in 3-pointers per game (9.1) and 36th in shots attempted from beyond the arc (715).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last 10 victories, including a season-best 20-to-8 total vs. Seattle U Feb. 11.
· The Roos set a season-high with 24 assists in the Jan. 31 victory over Ottawa, marking the highest total during the Kareem Richardson era.
· The Roos are averaging 77.0 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· LaVell Boyd averages 15.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 60 career games (59 starts). He has drained 150 triples in that span, which ranks eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 51 games during his 2-year career.
· Kyle Steward scored 19-plus points in each of the five games during the winning streak. He is averaging 19.8 points and 8.8 rebounds during that stretch. Over the last 11 games, Steward is averaging 15.0 points and 6.7 rebounds, dating back to a career-high 21 points at Seattle U on Jan. 12.
UMKC closes the regular season with a 4:35 p.m. CT tipoff next Saturday at Chicago State. The game will air on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing area. From there, the Roos will travel to Las Vegas for the WAC Tournament that begins Thursday, March 9.
– UMKC –