KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (14-13, 6-4) carries its 4-game winning streak into the home finale against Chicago State (6-21, 1-9) on Saturday evening. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. CT as the second part of the doubleheader at Municipal Auditorium.
The Roos are coming off a record-setting 102-72 victory over Seattle U on Feb. 11 in downtown Kansas City. A win against the Cougars will give UMKC its first 5-game winning streak since UMKC won 11 straight from Jan. 3 – Feb. 3, 2005.
All five seniors will be honored on-court in a postgame ceremony.
All-Time Series: 29-11
In Kansas City: 16-5
In Chicago: 12-5
Neutral Site: 1-1
Live Stream: WAC Digital Network
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 14-13 overall and 6-4 during WAC play, surpassing both victory totals from last season.
· The Roos are on a 4-game winning streak for the first time since Nov. 21 - Dec. 1, 2015. UMKC has a 19.3-point average victory margin during the run.
· A win against the Cougars would mark the first 5-game winning streak for the program since the Roos won 11 consecutive games from Jan. 3 - Feb. 3, 2005. Chicago State ended that streak on Feb. 5, 2005 after draining two miraculous 3-pointers over the game's final 1.9 seconds, including a ¾-court heave at the buzzer.
· UMKC's 30-point, 102-72 victory over Seattle U on Feb. 11 marked the largest margin of victory in a conference game since joining the WAC prior to the 2013-14 season. It also tied the second-largest margin of victory in program history in a conference contest.
· Kareem Richardson earned his 50th career win with the victory.
· UMKC ranks 33rd nationally in 3-pointers (245), 40th in 3-pointers per game (9.1) and 41st in shots attempted from beyond the arc (657).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last nine victories, including a season-best 20-to-8 total vs. Seattle U Feb. 11.
· The Roos set a season-high with 24 assists in the Jan. 31 victory over Ottawa, marking the highest total during the Kareem Richardson era.
· The Roos are averaging 77.3 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· LaVell Boyd averages 15.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 58 career games (57 starts). He has drained 144 triples in that span, which ranks eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 49 games during his 2-year career.
· Kyle Steward has scored exactly 20 points in each of the last four victories. He recorded double-doubles in back-to-back games at UTRGV (20 points, 14 rebounds) on Feb. 4 and vs. Utah Valley (20 points, 11 rebounds) on Feb. 9. He is averaging 9.3 boards and 1.8 assists during the current streak.
UMKC hits the road for the final three games of the regular season. The Roos will play next at CSU Bakersfield at 9 p.m. CT on Thursday, Feb. 23. Two days later, UMKC will travel to Grand Canyon for an 8 p.m. CT tipoff on KSMO-TV. The Roos close the regular season with a 4:35 p.m. CT tip at Chicago State on Saturday, March 4.
– UMKC –