KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (13-13, 5-4) looks to extend its winning streak to four games when the Roos host Seattle U (12-11, 4-4) at 7:05 p.m. Saturday evening at Municipal Auditorium. On Thursday, UMKC won an exciting 84-76 contest over Utah Valley in downtown Kansas City.
The Roos defeated Seattle U 84-68 on Jan. 12 at KeyArena. Kyle Steward (Detroit, Mich.) came off the bench to score 21 points and grab nine rebounds in that contest.
All-Time Series: 5-3
In Kansas City: 3-0
In Seattle: 2-2
Neutral Site: 0-1
Live Stream: Roos TV
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 13-13 overall and 5-4 during WAC play. The Roos are coming off an exciting 84-76 victory over Utah Valley on Thursday evening at Municipal Auditorium. The Roos shot 50 percent (11-for-22) from 3-point range and dished out 17 assists. Kyle Steward led with 20 points & 11 rebounds.
· Steward was named WAC Player of the Week after scoring 20 points and grabbing a career-high 14 rebounds at UTRGV. For the week, he averaged 20.0 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists. He shot 50 percent (12-for-24) from the floor, 47 percent (7-for-15) from beyond the arc and 82 percent (9-for-11) from the free throw line for the week.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 18.1 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists per contest. He ranks 27th nationally in made free throws (125), 47th in total points (471) and 87th in points per game (18.1).
· Broderick Newbill has scored in double figures in six of the last seven contests after doing so only twice in the first 19 games.
· UMKC ranks 27th nationally in 3-pointers (234) and 31st in shots attempted from beyond the arc (629) and 44th in 3-pointers per game (9.0).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last eight victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 24 assists in the Jan. 31 victory over Ottawa, marking the highest total during the Kareem Richardson era.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 76.3 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 15.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 57 career games (56 starts). He has drained 143 triples in that span, which ranks eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 48 games during his 2-year career.
UMKC closes the home schedule with a 5:05 p.m. CT Senior Day tipoff on Saturday, Feb. 18. The game will be the second part of a doubleheader with the UMKC women’s team playing at 2 p.m. CT. All five seniors will be honored in a postgame ceremony.
– UMKC –