KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (11-13, 3-4) returns to Western Athletic Conference Play Saturday night with a 7 p.m. CT tipoff at UT Rio Grande Valley (10-14, 2-5) in a game that will air locally in Kansas City on KSMO-TV.
The Roos are coming off a 93-67 victory over Ottawa on Tuesday in the nonconference finale. The Roos drained 16 shots from beyond the arc in that contest, which was one short of the school record. UMKC also dished out 24 assists in that game, which marked the most in the Kareem Richardson era and most by the Roos since 2011.
All-Time Series: 10-11
In Edinburg: 2-7
In Kansas City: 7-4
Neutral Site: 1-0
Live Stream: WAC Digital Network
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: Sidearm Stats
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 11-13 overall and 3-4 during WAC play. The Roos are coming off a 93-76 victory over Ottawa in the nonconference finale on Tuesday. UMKC drained 16 triples, which was one shy of the school record. The Roos also dished out 24 assists, marking the highest total during the Kareem Richardson era and most by the Roos since Nov. 26, 2011 vs. Longwood (25).
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 18.4 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists per contest. He ranks 34th nationally in made free throws (112), 37th in total points (442), 47th in field goal attempts (322) and 79th in points per game (18.4)
· Broderick Newbill has scored in double figures in five straight contests after doing so only twice in the first 19 games.
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week earlier this season following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 22 of the last 23 games and has registered at least 15 points in 19 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 30th nationally in 3-pointers (216) and shots attempted from beyond the arc (584) and 45th in 3-pointers per game (9.0).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last six victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 19 assists on 27 made field goals in the Jan. 7 win over UTRGV. Boyd led the way with six dimes.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 76.1 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 55 career games (54 starts). He has drained 139 triples in that span, which ranks eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 46 games during his 2-year career.
UMKC returns to Kansas City for the final three home games of the season, beginning with Utah Valley at 6:35 p.m. CT on Thursday, Feb. 9.
– UMKC –