KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (10-13, 3-4) closes the nonconference schedule with a Tuesday matchup against Ottawa (10-13, 8-8) at Municipal Auditorium. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CT in what will be a regular season contest for the Roos and an exhibition for the Braves.
The Roos are coming off a split in Western Athletic Conference action last week. On Thursday, the Roos erased a 12-point halftime deficit and outscored Grand Canyon 53-35 in the second half en route to an 83-77 victory. UMKC dropped a 74-63 decision to CSU Bakersfield on Saturday night in downtown Kansas City.
All-Time Series: 2-0 (Exh.)
In Kansas City: 2-0 (Exh.)
In Ottawa: 0-0
Neutral Site: 0-0
Live Stream: Roos TV
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 10-13 overall and 3-4 during WAC play following a 74-63 loss to CSU Bakersfield on Saturday. The Roos shot 47% from the field, 50% from 3-point range and 93% from the free throw line but committed 23 turnovers.
· Two days earlier, the Roos erased a 12-point deficit to beat Grand Canyon.
· LaVell Boyd averaged 18.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game last week. Broderick Newbill has scored in double figures in four straight contests after doing so only twice in the first 19 games.
· Boyd is averaging 19.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per contest. He ranks 25th nationally in total points (437), 27th in made free throws (112), 47th in field goal attempts (311) and 68th in 3-pointers (57).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week earlier this season following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 22 straight games and has registered at least 15 points in 19 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 41st nationally in 3-pointers (200), 43rd in shots attempted (542) from beyond the arc and 66th in 3-pointers per game (8.7).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last six victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 19 assists on 27 made field goals in the Jan. 7 win over UTRGV. Boyd led the way with six dimes.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 75.4 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 54 career games (53 starts). He has drained 138 triples in that span, which is tied for eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 46 games during his 2-year career.
UMKC returns to WAC play with a 7 p.m. CT matchup at UT Rio Grande Valley in Edinburg, Texas. The game will air locally on KSMO-TV. Following that contest, the Roos will return to Kansas City to close the home slate with a 3-game home stand, beginning with Utah Valley on Feb. 9 at 6:35 p.m. CT.
– UMKC –