KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (9-12, 2-3) hosts Grand Canyon (13-7, 3-1) at 6:05 p.m. CT on Thursday at Municipal Auditorium. The Roos will play the next three games in downtown Kansas City over the next six days.
Thursday’s contest will air on American Sports Network and locally on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing area. It will also be live streamed on the WAC Digital Network.
All-Time Series: 2-4
In Kansas City: 1-2
In Phoenix: 1-2
Neutral Site: 0-0
TV: American Sports Network (KSMO-TV in Kansas City area)
Live Stream: WAC Digital Network
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 9-12 overall and 2-3 during Western Athletic Conference play. The Roos fell 94-71 to league-leading New Mexico State on Saturday at the Pan American Center in Las Cruces.
· LaVell Boyd led the Roos with 18 points, six rebounds and three assists. He was 6-for-17 from the floor, 2-for-7 from 3-point range and 4-for-5 from the foul line. He now has exactly 400 points on the season.
· Boyd is averaging 19.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per contest. He ranks 32nd nationally in total points (400), 38th in made free throws (97), 42nd in field goal attempts (290), 56th in 3-pointers (55) and 60th in points per game (19.0).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week earlier this season following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 20 straight games and has registered at least 15 points in 18 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 43rd nationally in 3-pointers (184), 40th in shots attempted (507) from beyond the arc and 67th in 3-pointers per game (8.8).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last five victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 19 assists on 27 made field goals in the Jan. 7 win over UTRGV. Boyd led the way with six dimes.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 75.6 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 52 career games (51 starts). He has drained 136 triples in that span, which ranks ninth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 15 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 44 games during his 2-year career in Kansas City.
UMKC welcomes CSU Bakersfield to Municipal Auditorium Saturday for a 7:05 p.m. CT tipoff. The Roos will conclude nonconference play vs. Ottawa at 6:35 p.m. CT on Tuesday.
– UMKC –