LAS CRUCES, N.M. – UMKC men’s basketball (9-11, 2-2) visits New Mexico State (17-2, 4-0) for an 8 p.m. CT matchup Saturday evening at the Pan American Center. The game will be televised by KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing area and also by FOX Sports Southwest Plus and ESPN College Extra. FOX Sports Arizona will show the contest on replay and FOX College Sports Pacific will air it on delay.
The Roos and Aggies met on Jan. 5 at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City with New Mexico State earning a hard-fought 77-64 victory. LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) led UMKC with 15 points in that contest.
All-Time Series: 1-7
In Las Cruces: 0-3
In Kansas City: 1-3
Neutral Site: 0-1
TV: KSMO-TV, FOX Sports Southwest Plus, ESPN College Extra, FOX Sports Arizona (Replay, 12:30 a.m. CT Sunday), FOX College Sports Pacific (Delay, 2 a.m. CT Sunday)
Live Stream: ESPN3
Radio: Sports Radio 810 WHB
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 9-11 overall and 2-2 during Western Athletic Conference play. The Roos earned the split on last week's road trip with a 16-point victory at Seattle U on Jan. 12 and an 86-76 loss at Utah Valley on Jan. 14.
· Kyle Steward led the Roos with a career-high 21 points to go along with nine rebounds at Seattle U. He came off the bench for the first time this season and finished 4-for-6 from distance and 7-for-8 from the foul line.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 19.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.3 assists per contest. He ranks 28th nationally in total points (382), 36th in made free throws (93), 42nd in field goal attempts (273), 52nd in 3-pointers (53) and 56th in points per game (19.1).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week three weeks ago following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 19 straight games and has registered at least 15 points in 17 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 32nd nationally in 3-pointers (179), 34th in shots attempted (486) from beyond the arc and 52nd in 3-pointers per game (9.0).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last five victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 19 assists on 27 made field goals in the Jan. 7 win over UTRGV. Boyd led the way with six dimes.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 75.8 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 51 career games (50 starts). He has drained 134 triples in that span, which is tied for ninth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 15 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 43 games during his 2-year KC career. Kansas City.
UMKC returns home to host Grand Canyon Thursday at 6:05 p.m. CT in a game that will be televised by American Sports Network. The Roos will then face CSU Bakersfield on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 7:05 p.m. CT. They will wrap up the 3-game home stand with the final nonconference matchup of the season vs. Ottawa at 6:35 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Jan. 31.
– UMKC –