KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (7-9) begins Western Athletic Conference play against New Mexico State (13-2) with a 6:05 p.m. tipoff on Thursday at Municipal Auditorium. The game will be televised on American Sports Network and KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing region.
All-Time Series: New Mexico State leads 6-1
In Kansas City: 1-2
In Las Cruces: 0-3
Neutral Site: 0-1
TV: American Sports Network / KSMO-TV
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 7-9 overall and is coming off of an 84-75 loss to USC Upstate on Monday evening. The Roos led 40-27 at halftime but were unable to hold on to the lead as the Spartans shot 65 percent in the second half.
· LaVell Boyd led UMKC with 16 points, including an 8-for-10 mark at the free throw line.
· Boyd is averaging 19.6 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists per contest. He ranks 18th nationally in total points (313), 19th in field goal attempts (228), 30th in 3-pointers (45), 38th in made free throws (72), 40th in 3-point field goal attempts (111) and 58th in points per game (19.6).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week last week following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 15 straight games and has registered at least 16 points in 13 of those contests.
· The Roos rank 16th nationally in 3-pointers (150) and 35th in the country in 3-pointers per game (9.4). The Roos rank 17th in shots attempted (405) from beyond the arc.
· UMKC recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last three victories over Southeast Missouri, South Dakota and William Jewell.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in the Nov. 28 victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 75.6 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 47 career games (46 starts). He has drained a team-high 126 triples in that span. He has scored 20-plus points 14 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 39 games throughout his 2-year career in Kansas City.
UMKC continues WAC play at home on Saturday vs. UT Rio Grande Valley at 7:05 p.m. in downtown Kansas City.
– UMKC –